Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Happiness in Poetry and Song

This semester I am taking a poetry class and we had to read a myriad of poems and then choose one to which we would write a response of sorts. I really liked one called The Secret by Denise Levertov.

The Secret
Two girls discover
the secret of life
in a sudden line of
poetry.

I who don't know the
secret wrote
the line. They
told me

(through a third person)
they had found it
but not what it was
not even

what line it was. No doubt
by now, more than a week
later, they have forgotten
the secret,

the line, the name of
the poem. I love them
for finding what
I can't find,

and for loving me
for the line I wrote,
and for forgetting it
so that

a thousand times, till death
finds them, they may
discover it again, in other
lines

in other
happenings. And for
wanting to know it,
for

assuming there is
such a secret, yes,
for that
most of all. 



And here's my attempt at poetry...


In response to:
The Secret


There is a truth
universally known:
We want what we 
can't have.


Ageless beauty, endless life
sought after by all
and lost looking for
the Fountain of Youth


Temporary fix, forgotten troubles
late nights drowning in that liquid gold
but with the morning light
regret comes knocking.


Every cupboard and corner
is meticulously scoured
searching for that awe-inspiring treasure:
the key to happiness.


It is accepted 
that such a thing
does not exist
but...what if?


What if there was
a key to happiness, a secret
and we could have it?
Would we take it?


What if happiness was 
as simple as 
loving your neighbor:
your friends, your family, your God?


What if happiness was 
not about having what you want
but wanting what you have?
What if.


Well there you have it, my first poem of the semester. Keep in mind it's only a rough draft. Anyway, hope you liked it! Smile and be happy today! Remember, your Heavenly Father loves you and is always there for you if only you're willing to ask. President Obama gave a very good quote during his inaugural address. He said, "We will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist." That's how our Heavenly Father works. He is willing to help us, he is begging for us to let him help us, carry us even. We just have to ask and allow Him into our lives. If you need a little something else to brighten your day, play the following song. It's a sure-fire way to put that extra bounce in your step and give you that feeling of "I'm awesome and I can do this!" 

Make it a great day! =)

P.S.- Yesterday I switched to the College of Journalism, I mean I'm still at UNL and all I'm just no longer in Arts and Sciences. Anyway, I've been contemplating this for quite a long time now...and after a lot of prayer I finally decided to go for it. I'm so happy about my decision I feel like I'm literally floating right now! If you have the time read about it on my other blog.
 http://missionarygirlfriend-sierrashanea.blogspot.com/2011/08/life-is-wonderful.html  If you don't have time...Well read it anyway. It's good for you. And builds character. And all that jazz.

No comments: