Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Search is Over + I Seriously LOVE President Hinckley

When I was 14 years old, back in the summer of 2006, I went to EFY. It was an amazing experience! While there I sang in the choir and every day we had practice while everyone else had free time because, towards the end of the week, we were going to have a program. Well in the middle of this program there was going to be bit of an intermission from our singing during which a clip of President Gordon B. Hinckley speaking to the youth would be played. The last few days of practice we played the clip so we could get a feel for how long it would be. Every day I heard it, it made me cry all over again. I distinctly remember watching in on the laptop in our choir room. I loved it. The night of the program was no different except for, instead of a single practice room, the spirit filled the entire auditorium, washing over hundreds of teens, mostly LDS but not completely. As President Hinckley told us how much he loved us I knew he was telling the truth. Then, after his adamant statement that we didn't have to succumb to the pressures of the world, we didn't have to make those wrong decisions...it hit me. I didn't have to. I had power over me and what I did and I didn't have to do anything that I knew to be wrong. Since then I have made wrong decisions, as we all do, but I still know, I don't have to do that. I don't have to stay down. The atonement is there for a reason. I can be forgiven when I mess up and I can, someday, return to my Heavenly Father. Anyway, that talk had a profound impact on me and it was that talk that gave me an even stronger, more intense love for President Hinckley. A love all of the prophets, but I feel as if he is my prophet. Because of that talk. So, as you could imagine, I wanted it. I wanted it bad. So I looked for the video everywhere but I could not find it! It wasn't on the EFY website or on lds.org. I didn't even know what to look for besides EFY 2006. So my search continued. And finally, after 5 years of looking, I found it last night!! It was 2am but I watched it over and over and over again and let me tell you, it was glorious. Sitting alone in the dark with my laptop listening to Gordon B. Hinckleys words, the spirit filled our little apartment just as it had that auditorium. I felt tingly all over and it was as if I was hearing it for the very first time. I cannot even describe to you how ecstatic I am to finally have this. Please allow me to share this wonderful find with you. If you want to read along go here. 

No comments: