Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Casket Far Too Small

This morning I attended a funeral. At the front sat a casket which was far too small. Inside lay a ten year old boy, the little brother of friends. He was an adorable boy and, though I didn't see him often, he was constantly smiling when I did see him. I couldn't help but think what a cute boy he was going to be, what a cute boy he was.
I know his sister. I was her leader at church camps for many years and she is one of the sweetest young women I have ever had the chance to be around.
I know his brother. He is such a cute guy and an incredibly fun dance partner. A couple of summers ago we had a whole Grease cast chosen and we planned on recording our own version of the classic. We have yet to do that. Like his little brother, my friend is always smiling, even today. As his sister told me though, she didn't really know what else to do.
 They all smiled. They are such a strong family. I'm so grateful to know where their strength comes from: the knowledge that they will be able to see their brother/son again. I'm so thankful for the knowledge that families can be together, not just for this life, but for eternity. Forever.
Throughout the service I was blessed with the chance to feel and learn more of the personality of this special boy.  As I sat there I thought, "He truly was an incredible child." Almost immediately after another thought crossed my mind, "Of course he is. He is the child of our Heavenly Father. All children are special."
How humbling that was. I deal with children on a daily basis and I love them with all of my heart. I am so blessed to be able to hold our Father's choice spirits. What an amazing opportunity it will be to someday be able to be the permanent guardian of some of His children.
I am so grateful for the tender mercies I am blessed with daily: prayer, songs, scriptures, others' kindness, hugs, smiles, family, children. '

No comments: